Cars, Bikes & Driving

Exchanging UK driving License for French License

Tyjodine writes in Cars, Bikes & Driving

Does anyone know if this is an easy process. Can it be done if you have points on the UK license? And what happens to the points? I heard that, with a French license, the points only last three years as opposed to five in the UK. Does that mean if you had points, say four years ago, would they be wiped out if you exchanged for a French license? What happens to the UK license when exchanged? Thanks in appreciation John

Posted on: 05/04/2008 at 11:55

Do as follows:

Take your complete UK license, passport, 2 passport photos, marriage cert (if you are a married woman), fill out the appropriate form (can't recall which but you can download from préfecture website). Part with an SAE and about €25 and your new french license arrives about a week later.

I honestly don't know what happens to your UK points but if they are transferred you can (once every 2 years) attend a 'road safety' course for about €250 and lose them. Its a no brainer.

If it ain't broke.........break it. Unofficial motto of the RAF Regt

Posted on: 05/04/2008 at 14:25

UK points are valid for disqualification purposes in the totting up proceedure for three years but remain on your licence for four years, god knows why if they are no longer valid. The exception is drink drive where I believe they remain on your licence for 10 years

Isn't life great

Posted on: 05/04/2008 at 17:07

Thanks for all the info. I'm not a married woman, I'd have to have a sex change first, but hey, who cares? Many thanks again to all John John

Posted on: 05/04/2008 at 20:58

UK penalty points are not transferred during an exchange and you start your new French licence with a clean slate of twelve points.

Your old UK licence is retained by the prefecture and returned to the DVLA for cancellation.

Posted on: 06/04/2008 at 09:55

What's On

Royan Marché Central

Market open every morning except Monday out of season and every morning in July and August. 07:00-13:00.

More Details

Poitiers market (Bel Air: Bellejouanne)

General weekly market held in Poitiers at Bel Air: Bellejouanne every Friday.

More Details
Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

AngloINFO needs your vote!
Vote for AngloINFO as Best Expat Website

Complete
The Expat Survey 2014
and vote for AngloINFO
on the final page