General

Gite owners and SIRET registration

geordieboy writes in General

Out of the blue, after 4 years of running our one little gite, the Deux-Sevres tax authorities have written to us to say we need to register with them to obtain a SIRET number. Has anyone else had the same correspondence please? We've made informal enquiries which suggest we don't need a SIRET to run our gite but having spoken to the tax people they say it's just to get us "known" to them! We've always declared the gite income and the gite is properly registered with the mairie etc. so I'm sceptical and would rather not "register" for anything unless we absolutely have to. Can anyone throw any light on this please - have we missed a change in the rules and regs?

Posted on: 21/01/2011 at 21:14

Unless you need to register, then my advice is don't. Unless that is, the law has recently changed, of which I am not aware. I am registered as I needed to pay health cotisations to be in the health system but for the 1st 2 years we were not registered, on the advice of our French accountant. We simply declared our income on our tax return, so we paid income tax but not cotisations. If you do register, then go Autoentrepreneur - ideal for gites. You pay 12% of your gross for cotisations & 1% for income tax.If you register, then you will also be liable to pay Sacem (Performing rights society) if you provide a TV/video/CD/DVD player. I pay 180 euros pa. You should probably pay this anyway, but they only get you if you are registered and who's going to volunteer?Also you will pay the new business fonciere tax, which has just replaced Taxe Professional. This is based on the property value. That was 600 euros this last year for me. However you are exempted from this tax for 3 years if you have opted to pay your tax via the 1% charge on gross income mentioned above.
In summary, if you don't need to pay health cotisations, don't register.
Advice given on the assumption that the law hasn't changed.

Posted on: 21/01/2011 at 23:46

We have always been registered with the tax office & obtained a siret number. They can only register gites & B&Bs & they come under a special regime. We just declare our profits on our tax return form & have never in 6 years been asked for coatisations. As far as I am aware it it just so that you join the register of gite & b&bs. As to "they only get you if you are registered" ;simply not true. Friends of ours had a visit from TV license dept & were fined for not having a separate tv license for their gite? They were not, at that time, registered but were told that they were visited because the tourism authorities checked on web sites for gites & b&bs in the area which were then checked.

Posted on: 22/01/2011 at 00:22

Rowan, I was not referring to the fact that as you correctly state, you require a separate TV licence for a gite. I was referring to the payment to Sacem, the French performing rights society. A payment which is much more questionable, when one only provide UK satellite TV. & English language videos.My apologies, I forgot to mention the requirement for an additional TV licence for a gite.

Posted on: 22/01/2011 at 00:51

thank you Rowin for replying. The form we have been sent asks for the rental total per square metre - were you asked that? Seems a bizarre sort of question to me?

Posted on: 22/01/2011 at 07:35

Maybe if the Deux Severes authorities have told you that you need to register with them you do need to register with them.

I doubt if they will think that following what people told you on a forum is a good enough excuse to stop them penalising you if you don't do as they have requested.

Maybe there is a French business advice service you can talk with, they, at least, will be officially recognised as such and if they give you bad advice it will be they who have to answer for it.

Posted on: 22/01/2011 at 09:01

Content Sponsor

Bupa Global

This Winter, get a FREE quote for worldwide health cover for you and your family: 24 hour...
Find out more...

AXA PPP

We have over 40 years of experience insuring the health of expatriates worldwide. Our plans have...
Find out more...

privatepropertysellers.com

privatepropertysellers.com
Find out more...

Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Health Insurance Quote

AngloINFO needs your vote!
Vote for AngloINFO as Best Expat Website

Complete
The Expat Survey 2014
and vote for AngloINFO
on the final page